“Walk as if you are kissing the Earth with your feet.”
—Thich Nhat Hanh
With foreword by Paul Liabenow
Build compassionate classroom environments and mindful schools that prioritize high levels of achievement and high levels of well-being. Based on the latest neuroscience research, Mindfulness Practices details how mindfulness in schools can lead to new, improved ways of educating, learning, and living. The book’s mindful education exercises are easily adaptable across grade levels — from prekindergarten through high school — as well as across urban, suburban, and rural school settings.
Mindfulness exercises and trauma-informed practices for a positive learning environment:
- Explore the theory behind mindful education, including the interrelated nature of physiology, cognition, emotions, and mindfulness for students.
- Learn how mindfulness in schools contributes to a positive mindset, alleviates the impact of toxic stress, and takes advantage of neuroplasticity.
- Understand the effects of trauma and ACEs (adverse childhood experiences) on student behavior and the ability to learn, and discover trauma-informed practices that support healing.
- Acquire research-based mindfulness practices, including breathing exercises, yoga for the classroom, meditation for students, and cognitive reflection and awareness.
- Reignite the passion that first drew you to education and prioritize self-care for yourself and your students.
- Discover how to build a heart-centered learning community in classrooms and create mindful schools.
Foreword by Paul Liabenow
Part I: The Urgency of Now
Chapter 1: The Need to Care
Chapter 2: The Journey–Healing Along the Way
Chapter 3: Our Brain and the Mind-Body Connection
Part II: Mindfulness Practices–Getting Practical
Chapter 4: A Deep Breath
Chapter 5: Move and Stretch–Yoga and Meditation Basics
Chapter 6: Mindful Sensation, Presence, and Emotion
Part III: Mindful and Compassionate Classrooms and School Communities
Chapter 7: Mindful Instruction–Paying Attention to Your Students
Chapter 8: Executive Functioning
Chapter 9: Mindful Leadership From Within–A New Mindset
References and Resources